Vanillesauce (vanilla sauce), a liquidy form of custard, is used often in Swiss cooking, for example together with:
- Apple strudel (Apfelstrudel)
- Cherry bread pudding (Chriesiauflauf)
- Apple fritters (Öpfelchüechli)
- Steamed yeast dumplings (Dampfnudeln)
Vanilla sauce is quick and easy to make from scratch which I usually do – it’s tastier than shop bought and not containing any additives.
- 5dl milk
- 1 vanilla stick (cut open and seeds scraped out and added too) or 1 tsp of vanilla paste
- 1 fresh egg
- 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp sugar
Put all ingredients into a saucepan and mix with a whisk.
Bring the mixture to the boil while stirring constantly. Once boiling, let it cook for another 15 seconds. Then take the pan off the heat and stir for another two minutes. Strain the sauce through a sieve into a bowl and place kitchen foil straight onto the sauce to avoid a skin being built while the sauce is cooling down.
Let it rest in the fridge for about two hours.
One Reply to “Vanilla sauce (Vanillesauce)”
Thank you. Simple to make with common ingredients. Very tasty over my apple raspberry strudel.